Zon, Zee... Zorgeloos: accessible beach
With ‘Zon, Zee... Zorgeloos’ (Sun, Sea, Worry-free), the province of West Flanders, Inter (the Flemish Centre of Expertise for Accessibility) and the seaside resorts themselves want to make sure that the beach is accessible to everyone. Thanks to this facility, people with mobility problems can go for a walk on the beach, put their feet into the water or even venture into the sea on the Tiralo (a special type of beach wheelchair that is able to float)!
In the months of July and August, visitors to Zeebrugge and the other participating coastal municipalities can make use of beach wheelchairs, easy access to the beach, adapted sanitary facilities and assistance:
- If you arrive by Coastal tram, get off at the accessible tram stops at Zeebrugge Kerk (2 km from the beach) or with assistance (after reservation) at the stop Zeebrugge Strandwijk.
- If you come by train, a pick-up service is available at the train station (Zeebrugge Strand).
- An accessible way onto the beach along a landscaped path can be found at the Badengebouw (Bathers' Building) on the Zeedijk.
- In the Bathers' Building, you will also find an accessible toilet, accessible changing room, a patient lift and an accessible shower.
- You can book a beach wheelchair or request assistance by calling +32 (0)472 90 08 45 or sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Beach wheelchairs can be borrowed with or without the assistance of specially trained student helpers.
- The Tiralo can only be borrowed with assistance.