The name of this small cobbled square possibly refers to the first city walls, built nearby in 1127-1128. Aside from the selection of lively cafe terraces beneath the trees, Jef Claerhout also pays tribute to the city’s coachmen through his sculpture Zeus, Leda, Prometheus and Pegasus visit Bruges. Breweries have stood on and nearby the square ever since the 16th century, and today it hosts the only brewery still operating in the inner city, De Halve Maan. It was founded in 1856 by Leon ‘Henri’ Maes and today is occupied by the sixth generation of brewers. The craft brewery leads the way with its Brugse Zot, the home beer of Bruges, and Straffe Hendrik, which is loved both at home and abroad. The Le Maire place of worship was also established on the square in 1910, house in a 17th century warehouse. A few small cottages and a little chapel were built in its garden.
Time informationvanaf 08-11-2016