Skip to main content
Smedenpoort (Blacksmith's Gate)
Free Sights and buildings Bridges and water Outdoor

The first Blacksmith’s Gate dates from 1297-1299; the current gate was built on the remains of the old one in 1367. Throughout the centuries the gate has undergone many changes. The bronze skull above the left passage recalls the execution of François Vander Straeten, who wanted to let hostile French troops into the city at the end of the 17th century. The severed head of this traitor was fixed to the gate.

Facilities

Other facilities

Child-friendly
Pets allowed
Baby carriages allowed
Groups admitted
Picnic allowed

Getting there

Smedenstraat zn, 8000 Brugge

Open in Google Maps

Nearest bus stop:
510054 Brugge 'T Zand Perron 1

Nearest station:
Station Brugge

Nearest parking:
Centrum-Station car park

Smedenpoort (Blacksmith's Gate)

Smedenstraat zn, 8000 Brugge

Often combined with

Mirage Festival - Orchestre International Du Vetex

Mirage Festival - Orchestre International Du Vetex

Free
Child-friendly
Music
Festival
Between theatre performances, the musicians of Orchestre International du Vetex will take over the square in front of the mirror tent. We...
Read more
Café Rose Red

Café Rose Red

Café Rose Red is a cheery café that is full of character. It is located in the heart of Bruges, a stone's throw from the Markt Square. A...
Cordoeaniersstraat 16, 8000 Brugge
Read more