Abdijschuur Ter Doest (Abbey Barn Ter Doest)
In 1106, French Benedictines were approached to found an abbey in Lissewege. Due to their neglect, the land on which the Thosan Chapel stood passed into the hands of the Cistercians and it was they who built the famous abbey complex of Ter Doest. Many farms were constructed in the (wide) area around the abbey, often on land that the monks had reclaimed from the sea. Sadly, of all the abbey buildings only the pigeon tower (1651), the monumental gatehouse (1662) and the enormous 14th century abbey barn have withstood the ravages of time.
Please note: the opening hours for this day are subject to (possible) change.