Smedenpoort (Blacksmith's Gate)
The first Blacksmith’s Gate (Smedenpoort) dates from 1297-1299; the current gate was built on the remains of the old one in 1367. Throughout the centuries the gate has undergone many changes. The bronze skull above the left passage recalls the execution of François Vander Straeten, who wanted to let hostile French troops into the city at the end of the 17th century. The severed head of this traitor was fixed to the gate.