Poortersloge (Burghers' Lodge)

Right on the corner of Jan Van Eyckplein there is a striking building with a dramatic tower. The Poortersloge (Burgher’s Lodge) was built towards the end of the 14th century and the start of the 15th century and served as a meeting spot for the Genootschap van de Witte Beer (Society of the White Bear), a society of burghers. The leading burghers received traders in the lodge so that business matters could be settled in a relaxed atmosphere. It was a perfect location, as it was where the trading vessels moored before clearing their goods and was also close to the foreign-owned warehouses. The building served as the city’s Academy of Arts between 1720 and 1890, after which it did duty as the State Archives from 1912 to 2012.
To pdf


Academiestraat 14 , Brugge