Car-free and restricted access streets
Certain streets in the historic city centre are car-free or have vehicle restrictions at specific times. There are three (colour) zones, each with specific regulations:
- Orange zone (Steenstraat) is completely car-free between 1.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. every day.
- In the yellow zone (Katelijnestraat with adjacent streets between Ankerplein and Mariastraat to Heilige Geeststraat), car access is restricted between 1.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. every day.
- The streets in the green zone are subject to vehicle restrictions between 1.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday.
Car-free refers to a complete ban on motorised vehicle use. Restricted access means that specific target groups, including visitors staying in the restricted access area, are allowed access to these streets under certain conditions and subject to the completion of an online form. Enforcement is by ANPR cameras based on licence plate registration. Anyone driving down a car-free or restricted access street will be fined.
Important information for visitors staying in the restricted access area (effective 1 July 2023)
If you are staying in tourist accommodation in the restricted access area, you may enter the restricted access streets to check-in, provided you meet the following conditions:
- You are staying in tourist accommodation that has all the relevant permits. Before you travel, check the list of licensed accommodation in the restricted access area! If you stay in unlicensed accommodation and drive into the restricted access area during the restricted hours, you will be fined.
- Follow one of the recommended routes (see arrow on map). For streets in the green zone, north of the shopping streets Geldmuntstraat and Noordzandstraat, the recommended approach route is Sint-Jakobsstraat. For streets in the green zone, south of the shopping streets Geldmuntstraat and Noordzandstraat, the recommended approach route is 't Zand/Zuidzandstraat.
- After checking in, park your car in the parking area associated with your accommodation. If the tourist accommodation does not have its own parking, park your car outside the restricted access area, preferably in one of the nearby central car parks Station or 't Zand.
- Upon arrival or no later than the next business day before 11.00 a.m. following your arrival, fill out the online form granting your exemption. Using the drop-down menu, enter the details of the licensed accommodation you are using and the time you entered the restricted area. Enter your registration number too. You will be asked to upload proof of your stay.