Basiliek van het Heilig Bloed (treasury)
The lower chapel, dedicated to St Basil, is a rare example of Romanesque architecture in the coastal region.
Triple-naved prayer room with extended quire and semi-circular apse, vaulted by stone ridge vaults on heavy pillars. Sparse decorations in the capitals of the wall pillars and pedestals of the central pillars. Above the entrance to the aisle is an unusual half-relief depicting the Baptism of Christ (Tournai workshop 12th century).
The upper chapel can be reached through the Steeghere, with reconstructed bluestone facade in late Gothic to early Renaissance style. The relic of the Holy Blood, which was allegedly brought to Bruges by the Crusaders, is stored in the upper chapel. Rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century, the Holy Blood Chapel is particularly significant on account of its neo-Gothic decor. Was elevated to basilica in 1923.