A tower clock was installed on the Damme town hall in 1466 and it is still there today, one of the oldest in the country. In 1961 an automatic carillon of 25 bells was donated to the town, but it could only be installed after the town hall was restored. In 1991 the carillon was enlarged to house 39 bells and a keyboard was added. Since then carillon concerts have been hosted on Sundays in July and August and the bells are also sounded on special occasions and national holidays. Aside from the carillon bells, it also contains two of the oldest bells in Flanders – the hourly bell dating from 1392 and the ‘bell of Neringen’ from 1398.